The European & International Booksellers Federation- EIBF – welcomes the decision of the Economic and Financial Affairs Council (Ecofin) of 5 December, which unanimously adopted new rules for VAT on e-commerce.
The establishment of a 10.000€ threshold for start-ups and SMEs in yearly cross-border online sale, under which the home country VAT rate will apply, will definitely enable booksellers to offer more (e)books on foreign markets, as this new measure reduces administrative formalities and will ultimately benefit to consumers.
Reducing the number of pieces of evidence to one to identify customers’ location is excellent news for those of the booksellers whose turnover is up to 100.000 € .Read more
The European and International Booksellers Federation – EIBF – notes with great satisfaction that the negotiations held yesterday between the European Parliament, the European Commission and the Council (trilogue) about the geo-blocking regulation were positive.
The proposal agreed upon yesterday, and tabled by the Estonian Presidency, leaves copyright-protected material, including e-books, out of the scope of the regulation and proposes a review clause of 2 years.
In practice, due to the entry into force and various steps in the process, this means that the review clause will not kick off before the end of 2020 or the spring 2021.Read more
The second edition of the EIBF conference “Creative and Innovative Solutions by Bookshops and Booksellers Associations” took place in Frankfurt on 12.10.2017 and gathered a total of about 60 participants. This year again, many fascinating presentations were made and a wide range of topics was covered.
You can find the slides of all these presentations in PDF format below:
- Susanne König’s Keynote (USA),
Executive Director of “Powerhouse” and “Powerhouse on 8th”, Recipient of the Bookseller Prize of the German Book Office New York
- The best things I have done in my bookshop
- Pierre Coursières (France), CEO of “Le Furet du Nord”
- Daniel Lager (Germany), owner of “Bücherstube Fuhlsbüttel” and “Bücherstube am Kronstieg”
- Jane Streeter (UK), owner of the “Bookcase”, past President of the Booksellers Association of the UK & Irelan
The best things my Booksellers Association has done
- Sveinung Råmundal (Norway), owner of “Kviteseid Bookshop”, Board member of the Norwegian Booksellers Association
- Nadezhda Mikhaylova (Russia), General Director of “Moscow Book House”, President of the Association of Book Distributors of Independent States
- Joel Becker (Australia), CEO of the Australian Booksellers Association – video presentation
- Jakub Petr (Czech Republic), owner of “Knihkupectiví Papyrus”, Czech Booksellers & Publishers Association
- Mats Ahlström (Sweden), owner of “Djursholms Bokhandel”, President of the Swedish Booksellers Association
The European and International Booksellers Federation (EIBF) works in Europe and around the world to further the interests of the bookselling industry.
EIBF is proud to present its new leaflet in three language versions: English, French and German.