- GERMAN GOVERNMENT GOES FOR FIXED PRICES ON E-BOOKS
- STUDY BY THE AMERICAN BOOKSELLERS ASSOCIATION & CIVIC ECONOMICS ON AMAZON’S IMPACT ON FISCAL AND LAND USE REVENUE
- EIBF, INCLUDING AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND? WELL REPRESENTED BY 40 BOOKSELLERS AT THE WINTER INSTITUTE OF THE ABA IN DENVER
On January 25, at Winter Institute 11, Civic Economics and the American Booksellers Association released a groundbreaking new study, “Amazon and Empty Storefronts,” which details the overall negative impact that Amazon has had on Main Street retailers and jobs, and the communities in which they are located, across the country.
- EIBF WELCOMES COMMISSION’S PACKAGE TO TAX AVOIDANCE
- EIBF WELL REPRESENTED BY 40 BOOKSELLERS AT THE WINTER INSTITUTE OF THE AMERICAN BOOKSELLERS ASSOCIATION IN DENVER
EIBF LOBBYING EVENTS IN FIRST HALF OF 2016
The American Booksellers Association (ABA), the Association of American Publishers (AAP), the Authors Guild (AG), the European and International Booksellers Federation (EIBF), and PEN American Center (PEN) wish to express their extreme concern over news reports about the disappearance of five employees of a Hong Kong publishing company, Mighty Current, and its bookstore, the Causeway Bay Bookstore. According to these reports, four of the employees disappeared in October, including the bookstore manager. A fifth employee, Lee Bo, was reported missing last week. Mighty Current is well-known for publishing books critical of the Chinese leadership. Mighty Current books are sold by the thousands at the Hong Kong airport and other locations, including the company bookstore in Hong Kong’s Causeway Bay neighborhood. They are particularly popular with tourists from mainland China, where the books are banned.Read more
EIBF Secretariat will be closed until 04/01/2016. EIBF Co-Presidents and team thank all colleagues and Members for their support and send their warmest wishes of an excellent Christmas Season to all booksellers.
May you all enjoy a well deserved break after Christmas!
With our best wishes for 2016
- Commission unveils proposed Regulation on Portability and Action Plan for Copyright Reform
- American Booksellers & Authors call 4 overturn of Apple ruling, in favour of healthy marketplace of ideas
- New Booksellers Association in Mexico
- EIBF AGM and Conference 13 & 14/4/2016 – London Book Fair Save the Date
- London Book Fair launches Bookstore of the Year Award
Listening to Europe’s Creative & Cultural Sectors
Today the European Commission has published its Communication on the future of the European copyright framework. We are digital sectors at heart, and hope the Communication marks the start of an informed, constructive dialogue about how copyright should continue to enable the creative and cultural sectors to thrive in Europe – to the benefit of rights holders, audiences and users alike.
- DIALOGUE PUBLISHERS /AUTHORS AT THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT IN STRASBOURG
- EIBF AGM AND CONFERENCE 13 & 14/4/2016– LONDON BOOK FAIR SAVE THE DATE
- LONDON BOOK FAIR LAUNCHES BOOKSTORE OF THE YEAR AWARD
EIBF wish to express its solidarity to Parisian colleagues and the French population. Say co-Presidents Kyra Dreher and Fabian Paagman: “ Our thoughts are with all of the Parisians and French people. Booksellers over the world have been horrified by the Paris events and wish to express their absolute solidarity with the French population.”